Thursday, September 20, 2012

Well...it's been awhile!

Whoa! It's been just a WEE bit of time since I've posted anything. Right. Pretty pathetic on my part. Sounds a little harsh, doesn't it? Well - that's pretty much how I roll. I definitely hold myself to a higher standard than I do others and in every part of my life. As a friend, sister, daughter, employee - you name it. Some days you could say I'm harsh, overly self critical or it's rough constructive criticism, and you'd be right. But it's the Virgo in me striving for perfection. Oh yeah, I don't make time for bullshit in my life. Including people. Bullshit people - that's weird to think but I think you get what I mean? Probably makes me a bit of a bitch but meh, I'll live with that. I just don't put up with people or things in my life that drain me. Been there. Done that. OVER IT.

Wow - that was a bit of a tangent. Super sorry about that. I'd delete it but...Nah, not today.

On to things a little more fun. :)

For my fabulous friend Brooke - it's time for the skinny on the wedding from Labor Day weekend. Ask and you will receive. Ten fold.

Started off with a trip to pick up the linens for the reception and deliver them to the site. Went into the place to get them and in essence they have the kind of business I am working to build soon so my ever inquisitive eye was scoping things out. Yes, they have a nice place and looks like they could put things together for people. I just know from looking what I want to do better. And not in a snotty way, just in a way...ok probably snotty. Whatever. I just know how I want myself and my business to come across at first impression to people. Picked them up and drove them out -met with the General Manager who would be overseeing the event so we could chat a bit and know what we needed from each other. She was fabulous to work with and you could easily tell it wasn't the first wedding she'd put on. Loved it.

Off to the rehearsal - got there early to meet with the wedding coordinator at the church so we could make sure we would be on the same page. Crazy enough, we hit it off really well - we've both been a part of enough weddings to know how shit needs to roll to make it a smooth success. (We are planning to grab drinks soon) Some people missed the rehearsal but they got caught up to speed so not too big of a deal. After rehearsal, I got the decorations and everything I would need for Saturday. Whew, maybe a little more than I bargained for but I can handle pretty much anything you throw at me and make it happen. Just had to go home and put it in "Sarah Order" - which in my mind is the only logical one.

The BIG day. My happy ass was up by 6:00 to get out and get decorating done. Starbucks in hand I headed out - ready to roll by 6:45 with everything in front of me. What I thought would take me an hour-ish took me closer to three. There were a few things I had to figure out I didn't know I would need to (like dressing the head table...it wasn't even set up when I got in) and honestly, I'm THAT anal. First events have to be perfect and make a great impression. But I did it all and happily. I'm a nerd. Ran home, showered and got ready - at the church before noon. This is when the real stuff kicked in. Making sure the bride had what she needed, the girls, the guys - everyone. The church needed to run on schedule (there was another wedding after ours) and I wanted to make sure we did that and had time for what the bride wanted. We did. Although not everyone understood why - but I got all of their stuff picked up and out to where it needed before the wedding. And while they all stood up there looking lovely I was hauling purses and coolers onto the wedding party bus. Yep, I had to be the ballbuster and take the guys' cooler of beer away from them at the church...not the moment I loved doing, but better me than the crabby old lady. I had it loaded for them by the time they were done...no complaints. At this point, I rolled out of the church with the stuff for the reception before the bride and groom were done with pics.  Probably a bit of a hasty move on my part but I wanted to make sure things were done right and bank in a bit of time if needed. (Oh yeah, I had my magic bag of tricks for the girls - and as usual, it came in handy. I wonder if people actually have a wedding without one? Foreign concept to me. Always prepared.)

Reception was fabulous! Once the wedding party showed up - I was on purse patrol, making sure everyone was good, hauling coolers out back - hell I was serving drinks to the head table. They loved that. And I didn't mind...just made sure those boys knew I wasn't going to bring them food. Just booze.
Finally I grabbed myself a plate and headed out to the main area and ate quickly in some peace and quiet. It was wonderful for a few minutes. Then the bride made sure I got myself a drink and had some fun. Which I did. Free wine? Hell yes I'm in. :) Granted I was still working while drinking but I got to relax a bit and enjoy the night. I was still bossy and got shit done. Just how I work. Probably not as much when the shots started rolling - dang girls I tell you what. But it was a fabulous time.

I got a million compliments. The bride and groom were both BEYOND happy with what I did for them. I can't tell you all the great things she said - just too much. Her parents, his parents, the wedding party - everyone. Just amazed. Which is JUST what I wanted.

Oh yeah - even hungover the next day (ugh!) I got up and went back out to the reception and picked up everything I knew was out there and took it to the hotel to sort it out with them. Yeah, apparently I never stop working. Shballs I'm crazy.

Here's a few pics from the day - one of the finished product. The other of my friend Katie who's helped me get to this place in life. And no, we're NOT sober in the pic! :)

Ahh - that took much longer than I thought to write. Sorry for throwing up all over you. You're not the first today. Oops. Oh well, clean yourselves up and get over it! HA! Off to find energy to pack to head north for the weekend!
Hope you have a great one!

2 comments: